Tuesday, June 7, 2011

House Progress




I closed on my house on Thursday June 2nd. The closing was "the fastest I have ever participated in." I guess that was to make up for all the craziness along the way? In either case, I officially became a home owner at 9:42 A.M. as it somehow was recorded with the city the moment I was done signing my small stack of papers. Side note: Don't ever ask me about what it was like to buy a house... my experience was the exact opposite of typical.

So I thought I'd post a few pictures of some of the changes thus far. The changes will come slowly but surely as I'm doing the repairs with the help of Cameron for now. I am having some professional Carpet installers put down the carpet for me.

The first significant change is the door knobs/ dead bolts. You'll notice there is a key for them on my keychain. This means I no longer have to use a realtor's key box or break in through the back door to gain access! Woot!
The next change is a gaping hole where the wood-burning stove used to be in the basement. This is the change that I am probably the proudest of, given the circumstances. Myself and my lovely yet scrawny brother Cameron muscled the 500-some odd pound beast from its place. This was in the basement and it is now on the car port. We are awesome!

We then cut a couple holes in the wall where doors are going to be. One doorway leads from the bathroom to the adjacent bedroom. The studs are still there for the moment, but will be removed shortly. The other hole is going to be an access door to the utility closet under the stairs.


I anticipate beginning drywall in the next couple of days or so. I went and estimated the amount I would need and will be picking that up tomorrow most likely. Projects projects projects :)




4 comments:

  1. Recording...that was my exact job when I first got to Utah. I used to have to go down to the county building, wait in a long line with all the other recorders from title companies and record my documents in person. Before I left the job though it all changed so much and we could do it online by scanning them in and "sending" them in to be recorded. It made my job way less fun since I loved getting out everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I, too, had a completely-opposite-of-normal closing. You always hear about signing your life away....I think I signed maybe 3 things and it took about 10 minutes. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so you have to tell us just how you managed to get that stove out of the basement!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow i think you are way more ambitious than i would be with house projects :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete